Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Task 1

As a future art teacher, I have a lot to think about because I feel that I have a good amount of information to learn about before I actually start teaching students. I can be hired to teach students anywhere from kindergarten through twelfth grade respectively speaking. My goal is to find a school where they are hiring for an art teacher in the elementary or middle school level. However, due to the lack of many job opportunities as an art teacher, I think I will seize the chance at any opportunity that is offered to me, not only would I have a job but it would be great practice for me to work with students no matter what grade level. This would mean that my unit plans and lesson plans will be different for each grade level as well as the curriculum content standards that I have to incorporate into a lesson. I hope that the school district that I will be teaching in will provide me with some guidance on how to about teaching specific grade levels. I also hope to gain professional development in achieving adequate instructions in reaching the goals set by a curriculum. Furthermore, trying to integrate technology and the 21st century skills into a classroom will take another toll in restructuring my lesson plans.

Since there has been continuing problems regarding companies and businesses hiring new employees just out of college or high school due to their lack of skills and experience. In addition, the global workforce has presented students today with a competitive environment in which many new hires are not ready or competent enough. Furthermore, another issue that was discussed was students should become familiar or knowledgeable in a foreign language because it will be extremely beneficial in working and communicating with others outside of the U.S. I would think that the best way to try and solve this dilemma as many supporters have argued is to integrate 21st skills into the classroom along with the content area classes. As Bailey stated in the Tech & Learning article, “… NCLB does not mandate that measures of average yearly performance be based solely on tests of lower-order thinking skills and that many of the 21st century skills outlined in the partnership’s report are already part of the state standards.” I think that this is great if some standards are already included as part of the 21st century skills. This would mean part of the job is done and that teachers have to acknowledge the skills and make sure students are understanding how to use the skills. I know and I understand that this will take a lot of work on behalf of the teachers but if it’s a solution that can help solve our economic and political problems, I believe implementing the 21st century skills is the key to success.

The article also mentioned schools like Clarke County School District in Georgia where technology skills have been implemented into the classroom despite the lack of funds; have greatly benefited the students.

As the articles emphasized, teaching technology, critical thinking, problem solving, communication skills and the rest of the 21st century skills will help to prepare students for the future; not only as they move on to college but ultimately when they begin working towards their careers. The research has been conducted to show evidence of how students learn and don’t learn, so why do school districts and officials not execute what works for students? I am as shocked as Eeva Reeder an educational consultant on why this topic is still being debated upon. In the article entitled, The value of teaching 21st-century skills by Maura Banta, she states that, “This is not about teaching either academics or skills; this is about blending the two and teaching one using the other.” I think this is very important because I feel that academics come hand in hand with skills. They need each other to function and work effectively; similar to car keys in order to drive a car.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your last analogy, and I think you are right; without strong content knowledge, one cannot make effective use of 21st century skills. The two need to be taught to students in a way that highlights the importance of the two as a functioning unit, and not the importance of one over the other.

    ReplyDelete